Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

functional fitness, orthotics, and, basically, missscccccc

Hey, kids. I had another post all queued up to write (as in, I wrote the title and first line three days ago and that's as far as it went) but nope, today we're just gonna talk about a bunch of random things.  As if beer and battle ropes were such a coherent theme last week, right?  At least I'm trying to give you content. Don't judge me. God.

You love when the whole first paragraph's a disclaimer, too, right? I think this is why I don't have companies lining up to send me free running shoes n' shit. I'm sure the profanity, scantily dressed old person photos, and lack of audience has nothing to do with it. It's the inability to get to the freaking point. Ahem.

Functional fitness!  I know I have ranted about this before, but it is *so* incomprehensible to me that I need to continue to rant. What's grinding your gears, Andrea? Oh, just people more or less my age who are basing their home-buying decisions on whether there are stairs they'll need to climb and their appliance-buying and kitchen-remodeling decisions on whether they'll need to bend over or reach above their heads because OMG they're so old and pretty soon they'll be decrepit, weak, and basically in need of a Hoveround. I don't understand this attitude.  Why assume you'll be the 75 year old who's stuck in her recliner in front of Judge Judy, not the 75 year old who's taking hiking vacations in the Swiss Alps?  (I personally won't be the the 75 year old taking hiking vacations in the Swiss Alps only because I don't think either my 401k or my 403b are doing that well, but I intend to be in shape to climb a fucking mountain even if I'm still just climbing the stairs in my Y.) So, yeah, for me, working out at this stage of my life is driven by three separate reasons: fun/stress-relief, ridiculous vanity, and my need to be able to still do all those things I could do without thinking when I was 25.

What brings this up? Well, yesterday I had lunch with my friend M2 and then, afterwards, I went to the Trader Joe's near her house, which is far larger and superior to the Trader Joe's near my work that I usually go to. It seemed like a good idea since I was, y'know, in the neighborhood, but I kinda sorta "forgot" that it's in the opposite direction of the subway which meant a .8 mile walk back carrying a heavy bag of groceries. Because, obviously, I always buy too much stuff at Trader Joe's.  As I took that almost-a-mile walk back with my groceries, I was extremely grateful for all the farmer's walks I do. I was also extremely grateful that, seriously, it never occurred to me that I couldn't walk back to the subway with a bunch o' groceries. Because the day I say to myself, nah, that's too far/that's too hard (to do what are/should be my normal daily activities) is the day I start giving up.

And now we're gonna segue into my next topic. Because one thing that I *have* noticed on and off over the last year or two since my hip/low back have been a little funky is that walking long distances (say two miles or more) on flat pavement can cause my hip/back to stiffen up and start hurting, no matter what shoes I'm wearing.  It happens particularly when I'm walking fast and (I think) it happens more in the early morning when I'm not warmed up in general. It happens more when it's cold outside. Interestingly, it does NOT happen when I'm hiking and going up and down hills and walking on trails. It pisses me off when it does happen. Recently, two different people (an MT who was giving me a massage and a random friend) suggested to me that I might benefit from orthotics to fix my gait.  I am totally open to this idea, but I honestly do not know who you go to to get the right orthotics prescribed. The MT said she was evaluated for hers by a physical therapist she was seeing. Since I don't think I actually have a legitimate reason to get physical therapy at the moment, that doesn't really help me. So, I'm reaching out to you, awesome blog readers. Tell me your orthotic stories. Someone out there's gotta have them.

And speaking of feet, does anyone own these Nike "comfort thongs"?


I saw them at DSW a few weeks ago and didn't try them on because a.) that wasn't what I was there for and b.) it was too cold for me to think about sandals.  But now since it is finally sorta flipflop weather in Boston, I keep thinking about them and wondering if they are indeed as comfy as they look.  They have black and lime green ones on sale for $19.99 at 6pm.com, but I'm not sure I wanna pull the plug on shoes I haven't tried on without testimonials.

If I had a better blog, Nike would probably send me flipflops for free. Sigh.

xoxo






13 comments:

  1. I have those Nike sandals, in pink and black. I love them. They are still flip-flops so they aren't ideal but I definitely love to slip them on post race and give my feet a break.

    Also, I just bought a house a couple of years ago, and my decisions included things like, "how close are we to the trail?" and "how much closet space is there?" It never once occurred to me to consider the needs of my hypothetically feeble future old-self. I don't understand that at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the testimonial! I decided to go for it, but b/c I waited too long the $19.99 ones were gone. So I got black/dark gray/orangy-pink ones on Zappos for $25.99. Will report back when they come.

      Because *obviously* yous people are staying up nights worrying about my flipflop situation.

      Delete
  2. There is no such thing as a comfort thong. Thongs are inherently uncomfortable. So say I, at least.
    I like the phrase "currently abled" for "not disabled." You may well be the 75yo hiking in the Alps. You may also be the 75yo with a leg in a cast, who will be back hiking the Alps in a few months.
    Mary Anne in Kentucky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I woulda said the same thing about thongs 10 years ago but somehow I have not only trained my feet to be okay with them, I can also wear yoga socks which go between all my toes. Don't know how that happened.

      Delete
    2. Urk! say my toes, at the very thought of yoga socks.

      Mary Anne in Kentucky

      Delete
  3. The house my husband and I bought in Nerdvana five years ago is two stories with a fairly steep staircase. We had both moved around quite a bit before buying the house, and hope never to move again, so part of my rationale for working out now is to keep myself fit and strong enough to just stay put finally.

    Your blog is fine. Based on recently dealings I've had with Nike the company, I think they're just too lame to give you the flip-flops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'know, I was thinking...I'm *sure* the real reason no one offers to give me all kinds of free shiz is that there's no "contact" button on this blog. I should do something about that. Because I'd probably sell my integrity (and soul) for swag.

      (Not really, blog readers. I would never pimp out something to you all that sux. And that is my premise to you.)

      Delete
  4. Hi Andrea...Orthotics can help create a foundation that enables every joint above it to function better, especially your spine. Many chiropactors can have them made for you after they take an impression of your feet. Podatrists also offer custom-made versions, usually a bit higher priced. It's helpful to look at an old pair of flat shoes -smooth-bottomed) to see which areas you wear out fastest. A DC can also check leg length, some people benefit from a slight lift on one side. Orthotics created a healthy arch in my feet. If you get them, you'll need to remove the insteps from new sneakers & try them on with your orthotics in them. A classmate in massage school from Czech Republic says as kids her parents had them roll glass beer bottles in their arches & walk around tippy-toed to strengthen their ankles, she has great feet, BTW. Keep writing~~you inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got my orthotic insoles custom made from my chiropractor! They were a bit pricey, but totally worth it because not only will they help your spine stay more aligned and you'll hurt less when you walk, but your shoes will last longer because you'll wear them out evenly along the soles (before, my shoes would wear out at an angle, which would only worsen how I walked)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the orthotics info, guys! I actually have very high arches and I supinate. My problem is probably more with the leg length discrepancy, which I actually think is a hip problem, not my actual leg bones. One side of my pelvis is def higher and twisted forward and the theory from both people who recommended this to me, is that orthotics to even out my hips would help.

    I guess I should probably suck it up and go to a chiropractor even though I am super leery of them. I think my bright and shiny new health insurance might even cover it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, chiming in late... I'm also needing to address gait problems (f--cking knees) and already have orthotics. Have gotten them through primary care to podiatrist referral and also via primary care--PT referral. Am also leery of chiropractors because some of the science seems suspect, and many practitioners seem to be nutty though my gal went to an awesome one who fixed all kinds of problems for her, so I guess it varies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, this can be a great blog. Im perpetually on the lookout for websites Formula 41 Extreme similar to this. Keep up the nice effort!That is some inspirational stuff. Never knew that opinions could be this varied. Thanks for all the enthusiasm to offer such helpful information here.http://www.supplements4help.com/formula-41-extreme/

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is easy to entirely see your determination on the work you write. Everything wants additional Alpha XTRM excited freelance writers such as you so , who might not be terrified to convey that consider. Consistently practice your current heart and soul..http://www.healthcaresups.com/alpha-xtrm/

    ReplyDelete